Chris Scott Wilson                   Writer                                             

©2010 C.J.S.Wilson

runswick02s

Runswick Bay 3

runswick04s

many of them grew to love the bay so much that when they retired they moved permanently into those weekend homes. One regular visitor to the bay was a vet whose practice was in Thirsk, better known by his pen name – James Herriott –  who spent summer holidays in the Marquis of Normanby’s thatched cottage on the seawall at the foot of the cliff.

     The 1960s saw a new straight road cut from the Runswick Bay Hotel down to the village, replacing the twisting old route which has since been ravaged by landslips until it is barely wide enough for walkers, but it does endure as a footpath down the hillside to the cluster of cottages below. A concrete seawall, built in 1970, complete with a slipway, stopped some of the erosion, and has since been enhanced. Fishing boats still grace the front but few, if any, are working boats. The lifeboat house, for so long a centre of the community, stands empty, its duties taken over by the inshore rescue craft at Staithes.

 

                                                           - o 0 o –

 

sources:

Communicated information

Evening Gazette  18/3/1977 & 29/11/1980

Johnson, J.S. ‘Jazzer’    The Lifeboats Of Runswick Bay       HUB 1974

Young, Rev George.   A History Of Whitby  Vol II (1817)  Caedmon 1976