Chris Scott Wilson                   Writer                                             

©2010 C.J.S.Wilson

Joseph Pease was a busy man. While setting up The Owners of the Middlesbrough Estate who offered the first house building plots available in Middlesbrough and overseeing Pease & Partners’ rapidly growing mining interests in County Durham, he was asked to stand for parliament. Elected in 1832, representing South Durham, he became the first Quaker to sit in the Commons. There too, he made his presence felt. He campaigned against corruption and slavery while fervently supporting human rights and religious freedom. He proposed and carried a clause in the Metropolitan Police Bill prohibiting the common pastimes of bull and bear baiting, and also sat on many committees dealing with industry. Re-elected in 1835 and 1837 he eventually resigned from parliament in 1841 because of heavy business commitments.

    Under his influence, The Owners of the Middlesbrough Estate made concessions to entice Henry Bolckow and John Vaughan to set up their prospective iron business in Middlesbrough. He knew their interests would feed off each other. Port revenues would increase as Bolckow & Vaughan imported pig iron while their processes would consume coal dug from Pease & Partners’ mines and transported by the Stockton & Darlington Railway. In turn,  Pease’s companies would have a sympathetic supplier of rails on their doorstep. So keen was Joseph Pease to see them succeed that during early lean years he personally gave financial aid and placed orders for rails to boost their order books. Later, when John Vaughan discovered and began to exploit the main seam of Cleveland ironstone, drawing ironmasters, ironworkers and miners in their hundreds to Teesside, Joseph Pease warmed his hands at the fire whose embers he had nurtured into flame.

    As the railways pushed east beyond Redcar, Pease & Partners expanded into ironstone mining. In 1853 they opened the Hutton Lowcross mine near Guisborough. Soon, they owned Upleatham, Skinningrove and Hob Hill (Saltburn) mines, between them annually producing almost a million tonnes of ore. The railway accounts looked healthy too. By 1875, eight and a half million tonnes of ironstone, limestone, coal and coke were being transported, most of which was used in Teesside’s iron industry.

    Joseph Pease was fond of the Cleveland coast. Shortly after retiring from parliament, in 1844 he bought several fishermen’s cottages on the seafront at Marske, demolished them then used the site to build Cliff House where his family spent their summers. It was from there one afternoon in 1859 his brother Henry took a stroll over the sandbanks to discover the old village of Saltburn. Returning breathless, he stated his intention to build a new town on top of the cliff. With some help from brother Joseph and the Stockton & Darlington Railway, he succeeded, naming it Saltburn by the Sea. Joseph’s Cliff House at Marske still stands as a landmark, nowadays a retirement home.

    If Cleveland made Joseph Pease rich, then he returned the favour. A concise example is the village of New Marske. After Pease & Partners bought Upleatham mine from the Derwent Iron Company in 1857, they took on more men to extend the workings. This aggravated an already chronic housing shortage. The miners faced a long walk from old Marske each day before beginning work, so the company constructed the community known as New Marske, much closer to the mine. Modelled on the best designs available for workingmen’s cottages, there was good sanitation, each house also having an allotment where vegetables could be grown and a pig kept. With the mine workings suffering from seepage, pumps were installed underground to clear the workings and force the water up into a reservoir which then provided the new village with an ample supply. Reading rooms and a school were also provided, but as a Quaker Joseph would not allow a public house. He also founded or contributed to schools at Saltburn, Skinningrove and many villages in County Durham, mainly for the children of company employees who by 1865 numbered 10,000 in coal and iron.

    Also an elder in the Quaker Society of Friends, Joseph later became a minister and travelled all over England to address congregations. Teetotal and deeply religious, heavily enmeshed in many business concerns, it would be easy to picture him as a dour man. In fact, the reverse was true. Socially, he was regarded as the life and soul of any party, a knowledgeable raconteur welcome in any household.

    It was said he could see a hundred years ahead. If not, then he was shrewd almost beyond belief to accomplish all he did before his death at the age of seventy two on the 8th February 1872. He once said, “I have not a drop of coward’s blood in my veins.”

    Nobody could deny Joseph Pease that.

 

                                                                 - o 0 o -

 

Sources

Hope, Rev E.      Hope’s History of Marske By The Sea        Sotheran 1912

Horton, Minnie C.  The Story Of Cleveland         Cleveland C. C. 1979

Jeans, J.S.        Pioneers of The Cleveland Iron Trade         Private 1875

Jeans, J.S.        History of The S & Darlington Railway       

                                                                                         Longman-Green 1875

Lillie, William       The History Of Middlesbrough     

                                                                   Middlesbrough Corporation 1968

Moorsom, Norman  Middlesbrough 150                                   Webb 1980

North, G.A.        Teesside’s Economic Heritage  Cleveland C.C.  1975

Pease, Mary H.      Henry Pease, A Short Story Of His Life                   1898

 

JOSEPH PEASE

THE MAN WHO STARTED IT ALL

Part Two

Cliff House01 Cliff House02

Cliff House at Marske

after restoration in 1981

The conservatory at Cliff House

in the 19th century

previous page