Among the oldest buildings in Whitby is Bagdale Hall. For many years the main route into the town from the moors was along where St Hilda’s Terrace now stands, then down Flowergate to the bridge. Bagdale was wild with a natural watercourse which ran down into the Esk which at that time reached almost to the hall, a mooring post later discovered very close to the house. The beck was later culverted and the harbour receded as it was systematically reclaimed - see illustration on p23 of the “dock” to gain some impression of the area improved.
In the early years of the 16th century Bagdale Hall was erected by the Conyers family. An early resident was James Conyers, Sergeant-at-Arms to Henry VIII. The property comprised the hall, stables, a cottage, plus gardens, orchards and several pastures stretching north to Flowergate and east to the river Esk. The western boundary was Chubb Hill while the southern sector included Bog Hall (near the high level bridge). The Conyers would have been in residence when Henry instigated the Dissolution of the Monasteries, sending away the monks and closing Whitby Abbey.
By 1595 the hall had been bought by the Bushell family, traders and mariners like the Conyers. Captain Browne
Below: Bagdale Hall viewed from the foot of Brunswick Street. Considering the amount of land described as originally belonging to the house, it is apparent today it retains little.